Saturday, October 16, 2010

Solids and Teeth!

Today the girls are 28 weeks. They are growing so unbelievably fast. I have been introducing them to solids these past few weeks and Juliana has been taking to them very well. Whenever a spoon comes to her mouth, she opens up and takes the food without any problems. Olivia on the other hand refuses it with never any intention of eating the food...ever! She will pinch her mouth shut and turn her head spreading the food from the spoon all over her face. She is clearly telling us that she does not want it. I simply don't push the issue. Every morning around 9AM I put the girls in their highchairs and make up two bottles and 2 tablespoons of baby oatmeal. I start feeding Juliana with the oatmeal and show Olivia that is "tastes yummy!" Although you wouldn't catch me eating that stuff. After trying a few bites and still being rejected, I pull out one of the bottles and give it to Olivia while I fed Juliana the cereal with the other hand. This is our routine everyday. Juliana now consumes 2 tablespoons of cereal in the morning and night. Pretty soon we will be introducing her to different vegetables. Oh, that will be fun.

2 Tbs. of Baby Oatmeal

Juliana eating the oatmeal.


Olivia refusing the oatmeal.

Olivia getting the bottle.


Juliana has been drooling a lot more and I didn't really think anything about it. She was not cranky, no fever, or anything that really would indicate that she was getting teeth. Today, when we were at church potluck, I was testing squash with Juliana. It was pureed, so I put some on my finger and put it in her mouth. She was a little unsure of the taste, but after a few times, she really liked it. Upon giving her the food with my finger, I realized there was something sharp in her mouth, well coming through her gums. I looked and sure enough, it was a tooth! It was cutting through her gum. I had no clue! She was such a well tempered baby, I never saw it coming. Olivia still has not had this new discovery, but I don't think it will be long until she does too. Hopefully she will start taking some solids before then.

 Juliana's First Tooth!!!

Juliana telling a secret to Olivia...shhh don't tell Mama.

Playtime!

I am so excited to see my little babies grow up. I never really knew how much a big deal teeth and solids were until I had children. When you have two, it is such a great achievement to see these little ones develop in a healthy way. I not only have one blessing but two! Yes, it is hard work, but it all pays off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment